These Hurricane Supplies Are Tax Free This Weekend

Tips: What to do after a storm and which hurricane supplies to keep handy.

In Florida, hurricane season begins June 1. That means from now until November 30, it’s time to gather hurricane supplies and create a family preparedness plan.

Hurricane winds range from 74-111 miles per hour, and the most significant hurricanes in recent history were Ike and Katrina. The former majorly affected Texas, whereas the latter devastated New Orleans.

This hurricane season, however, “there is a 45 percent chance of an above-normal season, a 35 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 20 percent chance of a below-normal season,” according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NOAA).

NOAA also predicts a 70 percent chance of four “major hurricanes” this year, and has released a list of 21 storm names.

To prep for storm season, you’ll need to gather the following supplies.

  • Non-perishable food
  • Water, one gallon per person per day
  • Can opener
  • First aid kit
  • Whistle (to signal for help)
  • Moist towelettes
  • Garbage bags and plastic ties
  • Cell phone chargers, including car or solar chargers
  • Copies of insurance policies
  •  Local maps
  • Cash
  • Unique needs items such as contact solution, diapers, bottles, extra formula, medications, etc.

This weekend only, hurricane supplies under a certain dollar amount are tax free until Sunday at 11:59 p.m. They include:

  • Coolers (tax free under $30)
  • Reusable Ice Packs (tax free under $10)
  • Batteries (tax free under $30)
  • Flashlights/Candles (tax free under $20)
  • Tarps/Waterproof sheeting (tax free under $50)
  • Tie downs/Ratchet straps/Bungee cords (tax free under $50)
  • Battery-powered or hand crank radios (tax free under $50)
  • Portable generators (tax free under $750)

For even more information, you can also download a complete checklist at

Once you have collected hurricane supplies and stored them in air-tight containers, discuss an emergency plan with your family. Next, familiarize yourself with area evacuation routes and procedures for Florida and Alabama. Then, touch base with your workplace and children’s schools to find out what they do in the event of a hurricane warning or watch. And make sure every person in your family knows your meeting place and/or emergency phone numbers. Additionally, pinpoint where you will shelter pets in the event of an evacuation.

Then, if there is a storm threat, clear your lawn of any debris, fallen limbs, or outdoor furniture and toys. During a storm, stay tuned to the National Weather Service, and use these guidelines for additional safety:

  • Turn off propane tanks
  • Unplug small appliances
  • Set refrigerator to coldest setting and keep the door closed to protect against spoilage
  • Fill bathtubs with water for cleaning and flushing

Once a hurricane has passed, closely follow local news outlets for reports of health and safety hazards or road closures.

Additional safety information can be found online at:

When conditions are clear, conduct a thorough inspection of your home and report damage to your property manager via the Tenant Portal.




Categories: News

Tags: Hurricane Safety Hurricane supply list