The Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Destin
The Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Destin ~ Southern Residential Leasing
Ask anyone in the South about where to get the best fried green tomatoes and you’re likely to get a different answer each time. We recently went on a search for the best fried green tomatoes in Destin, Florida, and it did not disappoint! If you’re currently renting a home in Destin, Florida, then you’ll love all of the delicious restaurants there are to try. Our pick for the best fried green tomatoes in Destin, Florida are at The Craft Bar. As an added bonus, they come with bacon jam on top! Truthfully, the bacon jam was so good that we could have eaten it by itself.
Of course, we had to learn how to make the fried green tomatoes and bacon jam ourselves. After some trial and error (and a lot of taste-testings), we ended up with tomatoes that were crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, and bacon jam that was sweet, savory, and full of flavor. We’re sharing our recipe with you so you too can enjoy these yourself! You don’t need to be renting a home in Destin, Florida to enjoy this tasty treat. You can make them anywhere! Read on below for this easy at-home recipe.
Fried Green Tomatoes (serves 8)
|3 medium green tomatoes||1 large egg||1/2 cup buttermilk|
|1/2 cup all-purpose flour||1/2 cup cornmeal||1 teaspoon salt|
|1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper||A pinch of ground cayenne pepper and chili powder||Avocado oil (or other high-heat oil for frying)|
Bacon Jam (makes 32 servings)
|3 lbs bacon (any flavor will do)||4 large yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced||8 cloves of garlic, smashed|
|1 cup apple cider vinegar||1 cup packed light brown sugar||1/2 cup dark brown maple syrup|
|1 1/2 cups strong black coffee||1 tsp freshly ground black pepper||1 tsp dried thyme|
Fried Green Tomatoes
- Slice tomatoes into 1/4-inch thick rounds and set aside.
- In a large shallow bowl, whisk the egg and buttermilk together.
- Set out two medium plates. Scoop 1/4 cup of flour onto one plate, then add the rest of the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, cayenne, and chili powder onto the other plate. Thoroughly combine the cornmeal mixture with a fork or whisk. Set out a third clean plate
- Cover one tomato slice in the plain flour and shake off any excess. Dip the tomato in the egg mixture, then cover in the cornmeal mixture and transfer to the clean plate. Repeat with the remaining tomato slices, adding extra mixture as necessary.
- Line a large plate with paper towels and set aside. In a cast-iron skillet, heat 1/4-inch of high heat oil to 375°. Carefully place tomatoes into hot oil and cook 1 and a half – 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with flaky sea salt. It’s important the oil remains hot in order to keep the tomatoes from absorbing it! Be sure to reheat between batches, and keep the tomatoes in a single layer on the plate so they don’t get soggy.
- Cut bacon slices of your choice into 1-inch strips. Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven until browned, then transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- With the Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add the onions and garlic. Stir well and reduce the heat to medium. Cook for eight minutes, or until onions are mostly translucent. Add remaining ingredients, stir, and reduce heat to low.
- Bring to a hard boil for two minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir the browned bacon into the onions and liquid.
- Simmer uncovered, still stirring occasionally. If the mixture seems dry, then add 1/4 cup of water, pouring slowly. When the onions are soft and the liquid is thick, remove the Dutch oven from the heat and let stand for five minutes.
- Transfer the contents to a food processor and pulse until the bacon jam is a spreadable consistency. Transfer to jars or containers with a tight-fitting lid.
We hope you enjoyed our fried green tomatoes and bacon jam recipe! If you made this and enjoyed it, let us know your thoughts on our Facebook page.
Tags: Best Fried Green Tomatoes Best Fried Green Tomatoes in Destin Destin Lifestyle Destin Restaurants July 2019