Your Guide to Grilled Oysters
Where to Get Grilled Oysters in Destin (and How to Make Them, too!) ~ Southern Residential Leasing
It’s oyster season here in Florida! An old tradition states that oysters are only to be eaten during the months with an “r” in the name – September through April – to ensure the oysters are as fresh as possible. One thing we love about oysters is their surprising versatility. Of course, you can’t beat raw oysters. But, there are a number of ways to enjoy oysters. Here at Southern, we happen to love grilled oysters! One of our favorite places to get grilled oysters in Destin is at Acme Oyster House, located in the Seascape Towne Center. If you make it out there, their grilled oysters are a must!
Or, if you’re feeling adventurous, making grilled oysters yourself can be very exciting. Not to mention, it’s a lot easier than you may think! Grab fresh oysters from your local seafood market, fire up the grill, and get cookin’!
Makes: 16 oysters
- 16 whole live oysters
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tbsp finely minced parsley
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup parmesan, optional
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the olive oil, butter, and garlic. Sautee until fragrant.
- Add the lemon juice, chili pepper flakes, salt, pepper, and parsley. Turn off the heat and transfer to a bowl.
- Set your oysters directly on hot grill grates. Tongs are recommended for handling.
- Cover the grill and cook until the oysters open, about 5-6 minutes. Transfer to a platter, making sure not to spill any of the liquid from inside.
- Quickly but gently, remove the top shells and loosen the oysters. Top off each oyster with the parsley butter and return to the grill. This part should only take about one minute.
- Serve and enjoy!
Oysters are typically served on a bed of ice to stay chilled, but since these are grilled oysters, we want them to stay as cool as possible. Simply add to your favorite platter and top with more parsley if desired. This is sure to be a hit among friends and family!
Visit our blog to check out more of our coastal recipes and see what else we’re cooking up.