How To Apply
Have you found that property you are ready to rent long term?
Fair Housing Statement: We are an equal opportunity housing provider. Southern Residential Leasing, Inc. (referred to herein as “Southern”) complies with the Federal Fair Housing Act and all local and state Fair Housing Laws. We do not discriminate against any person because of race, age, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status or national origin.
Southern uses a list of criteria in reviewing every application. Based upon Southern’s findings in the application review process, Southern has the right to: (1) accept or reject the application; (2) make further inquiries of Applicant; (3) request additional information or documentation; (4) require additional deposits and/or rent; (5) reject an application based on failure of any co-applicant to meet criteria; and/or (6) take any other action required to reserve the rights of Southern and the property owner.
TO APPLY: (1) search our long term rentals; (2) select your desired property and (3) click the “Apply Online” link; (4) Fill out requested and required information; (5) Submit $50 non-refundable application fee per adult; and (6) promptly provide any additional information/documentation requested by Southern. Application will not be processed without receipt of application fee from/for each adult applicant who will occupy the premises.
COMPLETING THE APPLICATION: To complete your application you will need to provide: (1) a completed written application (either online or in writing/person to our office); (2) proof of identity with government issued photo ID, (3) verifiable proof of income and two (2) years rental history, and (4) if requesting approval for an animal, provide a photo of animal with current vaccination record (a separate pet application/addendum may also be required).
You may also drop off your written application at one of our rental offices with the application fee(s) and the required above-mentioned documentation. In-person application fee must be paid with Money Order or Cashier’s Check ONLY. Please note our offices are unable to accept Cash or Credit Cards.
UPON APPROVAL OF THE APPLICATION: Once you are approved, know that a minimum of one’s month rent is due in certified funds to hold the property up to 14 calendar days from the date of property’s availability (the “Holding Fee”). This Holding Fee is due prior to lease execution and within 24 hours of approval and serves as a fee to remove the property from the market and guaranty availability upon execution of the lease. We will then execute your lease agreement. Upon and conditioned on execution of the lease agreement by all required applicants, the Holding Fee will be transferred to your account and held as the security deposit under the terms of the lease.
Please Read the following Application Process and Rental Criteria prior to applying.
Generally applications are taken and reviewed on a first come first serve basis. However, Southern is not obligated to review completed applications in any order of priority based on date received. When Southern receives multiple applications for the same property, Southern and the owner expressly reserve the right to assemble all completed applications for review and to accept the application that best meets our rental criteria regardless of the time when such completed application was received by our office. Additional factors may be taken into consideration when considering an application for approval (by way of example only, such factors may include but are not limited to length of lease term, move-in date, pets, parking restrictions, negotiations, and other factors).
Incomplete applications, including applications with missing or false information, will not be considered. Failure to promptly (within 24 hours) submit requested information or documentation may result in the application being denied and/or placed in “hold status.” Complete applications will take precedence over incomplete or “on hold” applications, regardless of the date/time any application was originally submitted.
All applicants will be listed as a lease-holder/tenant. Applicant(s) may be required to be approved by a condo/homeowner’s association which may have minimum required days before occupying a property, and you may have to pay an additional application fee(s), parking pass fee(s), special access device fee(s), or an additional security or damage deposit as required by the condo/homeowner’s association. Parking restrictions may apply to individual rental properties and may, among other factors, affect the approval of your application.
1. Application Required. Each/All Adult applicants 18 years or older for a Florida Rental Home must submit a fully completed, dated, and signed residency application and pay the application fee. Multiple applicants may be included in and sign a single application, provided each adult applicant must pay/submit the application fee. An application can be (a) completed online through our website, or (b) be printed and hand delivered/mailed to our office.
2. Identification Required. Applicant(s) must provide proof of identity with a government-issued Photo ID, such as a valid Driver’s License, Military ID, or State ID. Applicants without a social security number must provide proof of a permitted stay in the U.S with a U.S./I.N.S Visa.
3. Application Fee Required. A $50.00 non-refundable application fee per applicant will be required with your application in order for the application to be considered complete and ready for review/processing. The non-refundable application fee is different from and in addition to the “Holding Fee” described herein.
4. Income. A monthly gross income of at least 2.5 times the monthly rent is required, and income may be combined by applicants. Acceptable forms of verifiable proof of income:
a. Most Current Pay Stub showing year to date wages;
b. Signed Letter from Employer stating gross income and that includes company name, contact information and phone number for verification;
c. Last years’ W2 or tax return;
d. Service members – latest LES and copy of orders;
e. Self-employed – last two years’ tax return, including your 1099 and statement of current year’s income.
f. Other income such as retirement, AFDC, SDI, or other must be verifiable.
5. Prior Rental History. Previous two years rental history is required reflecting timely payments, sufficient notice of your intent to vacate, no complaints regarding noise, disturbances or illegal activities, no unpaid NSF checks, no damage to unit, no evictions or eviction filings, and no outstanding monies owed to landlord. Homeownership and base housing are equivalents to rental history.
6. Credit Score. A minimum credit score of 600 or greater is required. A credit inquiry will be made upon submittal of application. Credit history must not contain judgments, utility debts, collections, liens or bankruptcy within the past two years. Foreclosures within the last three years will be grounds for denial.
7. Background Checks. A background check will be completed on each applicant. It is Southern’s intention and policy to ensure criminal history information is used in a fair, non-biased, and non- discriminatory way without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, or familial status. Criminal history must not contain felony conviction(s) for criminal offenses involving; violence, assault, battery, firearms, arson, the manufacturing and/or distribution of controlled substances within the past seven (7) years, or misdemeanor or felony conviction(s) for sexual offenses regardless of when the conviction occurred. In the event criminal history is present or indicates a misdemeanor or felony convictions for any other type of criminal offenses not set forth above, except for minor traffic infractions, additional information may be requested/required in order for Southern to properly review all facts and circumstances of such conviction(s) in considering approval or denial of the application. Southern expressly reserves the right to deny the application upon the completion of its investigation and review.
Please see the property listing to determine if the home you are interested in allows pets. For properties that do allow pets, there may be restrictions on the number of pets and/or the size of the pets allowed. Please check the property listing for specific details and applicable fees. In general:
- A completed Pet Addendum to the lease will be required for each/all pets prior to leasing the property. Each/All pets must be properly identified in the Pet Addendum.
- All pets must be current on all shots/vaccinations and be spayed or neutered. Please be prepared to show documentation.
- Breeds with a disposition for aggressive behavior are prohibited. Southern and the owner reserve the right to deny an application for any pet prohibited, or for which insurance is excluded or not provided, under the owner’s homeowner’s insurance policy.
- Be prepared to provide a picture of your pet and vaccination records.
- A non-refundable minimum $250 pet fee, minimum $250 pet deposit and/or pet rent may be charged for each pet.
- Pet Screening Required: We use a third-party pet/animal screening service. Each applicant will be required to complete a pet screening for each of their pets or companion/service animals during the application process. Pet Screening is a simple and secure tool allowing you to store all the important information about your pet in one place. Pet Screenings are $20 for the first pet and $15 for additional pets. Service/companion animal registration is free.
Your Pet Screening will automatically be shared with Southern, just use this link to start your Pet Screening after you submit your application: https://app.petscreening.com/referral/MJQCPFjLvWTA
9. Service Animals. A separate application and request for reasonable accommodation, including all requested documentation and information therein, will be required to be submitted for applicants with service animals and/or emotional support animals.
10. Number of Occupants. The number of occupants must be in compliance with HUD standards and guidelines for the specific rental property applied for.
11. Additional Fees/Charges. In addition to the application fee, a non-refundable lease preparation fee will be charged at the time of leasing the property. Other mandatory fees for cleaning, carpet cleaning,re-keying, etc. may be charged per the terms of the lease agreement. Notwithstanding fees set forth in the lease agreement, all resident(s)/tenant(s) are liable and will be responsible for the cost of damages, cleaning, re-keying, etc. that exceed the security deposit.
12. Collection/Reporting Policy. Southern’s company Policy is to report non-compliance with terms of your lease agreement, including failure to pay rent or any amounts owed, to the credit bureau and/or to a collection agency as part of collection efforts on behalf of Southern and/or the owner. By submitting an application and signing a lease, all applicants are authorizing Southern to report past-due financial obligations to the credit bureaus. If an amount is disputed it shall be reported as disputed in accordance with applicable law.
13. Current or Past Resident(s). If an applicant is currently leasing through Southern, or has leased a property through Southern in the past, a new application must be submitted with all required fees and documentation. Resident(s) must meet all current rental criteria set forth herein in order to qualify. A new security deposit, pet fee, pet deposit, lease preparation fee will be required and paid at the time of lease signing. Current deposits will not be transferred.
CONDITIONS OF MOVE IN
Upon approval of an application, you will be required to pay a “holding fee” prior to lease execution in a minimum amount equal to one month’s rent. The rental property will remain on the rental market and remain available for other applicants to rent until the holding fee is received by Southern. The holding fee is non-refundable and is subject to forfeiture if all applicants fail to sign the lease agreement within the time period required. Where there are multiple applicants – all applicants must sign the lease agreement within the prescribed time period.
You will have 24 hours to pay and deliver the holding fee following verbal or written notice of approval of the application. Notice of application approval may be given via telephone call, email, or in writing. If the holding fee is not received within said 24 hour time frame, time being of the essence, the rental property will remain on the rental market and Southern reserves the right to place your application in “hold” status and to review, accept, and place other applications ahead of any approved application.
If the applicant fails to execute a lease within a reasonable time frame after payment of the holding fee, or changes their mind, the applicant shall forfeit the entire holding fee as agreed upon liquidated damages, and the property will be placed back on the rental market and may be rented by other applicants.
Lease start/move-in date must fall within 2 weeks of the availability date.
Upon execution of the lease by all tenants the holding fee shall be transferred to the applicant’s account as the security deposit, and thereafter shall be held as the security deposit under applicable law to secure all tenant obligations under the terms of the lease agreement. The security deposit also covers the re-keying and any of the following items as necessary per Southern: premises cleaning, professional carpet cleaning, maintenance, and non-payment of rent.
Southern reserves the right to require payment of a higher security deposit and or additional prepaid rent based on additional factors or circumstances.