Tenant FAQ

Who do I call about an emergency repair?

A: An emergency exists when danger is present or property damage has occurred or is about to occur. To report an emergency, call 866.389.0832 and report the specific incident, your telephone number, and the property address/county. Please do not inundate the emergency system with unrelated calls. If the emergency involves fire or a medical emergency, notify the proper authorities (911) first.

How do I apply?

A: To apply to lease a property, search our long terms rentals, select your desired property and click the ‘Apply Online’ link. For full instructions regarding finishing your application, including providing proof of identity, income level and rental history, please visit our How to Apply section.

What should I do before I move in?

A: Once your application is approved and you’ve signed a lease, you need to transfer utilities into your name by your lease start date. If you fail to do this, it could result in a fee, per your lease. See our list of local utility providers.

What happens on day of move in?

A: Your move in package and keys will be ready for you at your local Southern office. You will be given a move in inspection form to notate any cosmetic damages. Southern also performs an inspection move in, complete with photos, prior to your move in. These inspections will be used against your move out inspection when you vacate to determine any damages. A copy of your executed lease, HOA Rules and Regulations, and any other important documents will be uploaded to your Tenant Portal for access.

What is the Tenant Portal?

A: Your Tenant Portal allows you to pay your rent online, as well as make service requests. All service requests must be in writing and submitted via your Tenant Portal.

What if I need to add someone to, or remove someone from, my lease?

A: You can add/remove a party to your current lease, and you will need to contact your property manager to do so.

If you want to add someone to your lease, the new occupant must fill out an application and be approved for tenancy. Once approved, an agreement must be signed by all parties to add the new occupant to the lease. A Lease Revision Fee of $75 will be required prior to executing this type of agreement.

If you want to remove someone from your lease, an agreement must be signed by all parties as an addendum. Remaining occupants will assume all responsibilities of the lease. The vacating occupant will release any rights to the security deposit and will in turn be released from any responsibilities of the lease. A Lease Revision Fee of $75 will be required prior to executing the agreement. Remaining occupants must still financially qualify for the property based on their income.

Can I break my lease before it expires?

A: In most cases, yes. In the event you must break your lease, the owner, at his or her discretion, may agree to the buyout addendum which would settle any breach of your lease. The waiver of the security deposit, as liquidated damages for premature cancellation of the tenancy, does not excuse you from other obligations of your lease. You are liable for the remaining term of your lease. This includes but is not limited to any rental payments and fees/charges due until the property is re-leased. Additionally, upon early termination, you must leave the premises clean, undamaged and ready for occupancy. Move-in and move-out inspections are still required. Contact your property manager for early termination options.

What are the move-out procedures?

A: Prior to moving out, Southern Residential Leasing requires at least 30 days’ written notice. Once you have given notice of your intent to vacate, the property may be listed for sale or rent. At this point, it is important that you know it is eligible for showings. You can find a full list of Move Out Procedures here.

Didn’t find the information you were looking for? Try checking out Tenant Handbook.